Saturday, March 01, 2008

Hauntology

Lately I've been immersing myself in hauntological music. The genre, best described in the Arthur Blog and K-Punk's "Music is dead! Long live hauntology!", often recalls imagery reminiscent of Edwardian-era occultism, The Wicker Man soundtrack, HP Lovecraft stories and Hammer films (most notably Nigel Kneale's Quatermass and the Pit).

One of the best pieces I've been listening to is Mount Vernon Arts Lab's 1999 release Warminster (which was recorded with Portishead guitarist Adrian Utley). The CD is so good that I decided to make a t-shirt for myself using the image on the back cover of the digipak (plus, it's just a cool image--a giant bear holding an antenna).

Other albums I recommend include:
Moon Wiring Club - An Audience of Art Deco Eyes
The Advisory Circle - Mind How You Go
Eric Zann - Ouroborinda
Belbury Poly - The Owl's Map, The Willows
Mount Vernon Arts Lab - Séance At Hobs Lane
The Focus Group - We Are All Pan's People
Cyclobe - The Visitors
Boards of Canada - tracks like Skimming Stones, Statue of Liberty and Alpha Rainbow from A Few Old Tunes volumes 1 & 2
Delia Derbyshire - Electrosonic (this predates the genre by a few decades but the influence can't be ignored)

The Advisory Circle, Eric Zann, Belbury Poly, Mount Vernon Arts Lab and The Focus Group can all be found on the amazing Ghost Box label out of the UK.

And, finally, in the spirit of haunted creepiness I present this short film I made while in Hudson, New York:

Labels: ,

:: posted by David, 6:12 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment